The Lowdown on Stains
Thankfully we are near the end of 2020 now, and it’s time to turn our attention to the festivities and time with some loved ones.
Whilst we may not be able to enjoy quite the Christmas we might want, inevitably when you mix people, excitable children and even more excitable pets, the occasional accident does happen.
So, this month we share a few tips on protecting carpets and tackling stains…
- Act quickly – the longer a spill is left the more likely it is to become a stain
- Remove as much as possible – any solid substance, such as food spills or broken glass, should be removed as quickly as you can, which also helps prevent further incidents
- Blot – plain white kitchen roll or a clean white cloth are ideal for this – don’t use anything where the colour may come out. Blot up as much liquid as possible
- Use water – to dilute the stain and try to reduce the risk of staining
- Work from the outside in – when tackling the stain start at the outer edges and work towards the centre of the stain
- Dab don’t rub – frantically rubbing at a stain is only going to roughen up the fibres of the carpet and create more issues. Use a dabbing/blotting action when working on removing the stain
- Test the cleaning agent – if you are going to use a product to attempt to remove a stain be sure to test it on a small inconspicuous area first
- Wait until dry – try to avoid stepping repeatedly on the stain where possible. Make sure the carpet/rug is dry before vacuuming.
- Vacuum regularly – ideally every day, but as much as possible to maintain clean carpets and extend their life
- Refer to specific cleaning guides – all of our ranges have instructions on the right choice of vacuum cleaner, and how to treat individual stains. Please refer to these before tackling any spills
If you are unsure, or would like specific guidance about one of our carpets, please contact us by email.